View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2000, 23:40 (Ref:7696)   #8
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Ian, so much interesting comments today that I cannot stop writing, also in the TC forum. No soundcard here, will check it out during weekend at home. I don't expect too much from the tame version, as I know quite well the rotary grandfather, famous Ro80.

Concerning engines, you are not correct, sorry. The theme was not F1 engines into normal cars, but into other competition categories. This was Robin's initial topic.
By the way, a very interesting and informative page about Coventry-Climax engines and their use in racing and road cars can be found at http://users.bart.nl/~franka/tech/cov_clim.html

Last CC F1 engine was the FPF 2.5 litre of 1967, the same the ran 1961 at Indianapolis with 2.75 litres, obviously overbored. So they never reached the 3 litres for F1, and even if, no chance to compete against Cosworth. Additionally, CC was bought by Jaguar in 1963, and Walter Hassan - the brain behind CC's performance engines - was finally back home at Jaguar. From 1968 on all was then part of British-Leyland, and I cannot imagine that anybody there had any interest in motorsport activities of that small doughter company at Coventry.

The BL connection would make sense with concern to the stag engine, however, I doubt this, as already in racing spec they never reached the 3 litres. Interesting item, which may be transferred to another (non-motorsport) forum.