Thread: LM24 Prototypes at Le Mans
View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1247707)   #32
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
As long as the 24 hours of Le Mans are ruled by ACO, there will be prototypes. For the worst and for the best. Prototypes are the basis of endurance as ACO thinks it should be, from the start in 1923.
Agree that there should be prototypes, but I think you're pushing it a bit to say the cars there in 1923 were prototypes. The early years generally saw road cars that were run for 24 hours. Indeed, the early Le Mans races ran at a time when it was difficult to tell the difference between a sports car and touring car (in the true senses of the word). For example, the Alfa 8C 2300 was considered a sports car, the Talbot 105 a touring car (though perhaps more accurateley a 'grand touring' car, though we're on to shakey ground there!), but both ran at Le Mans

Quote:
Originally Posted by vs346
sportscar racing has always ebbed and flowed.
I agree completely. GTs and Prototypes have always had their highs and lows, sometimes at different times, and both have survived one way or another.

Personally, I'd like to see the big names like Porsche and Astons running prototypes (against smaller outfits) AND GT entries. However, in the current (F1-dominated) climate that would probably be considered too expensive by the manufacturers.