View Single Post
Old 9 Apr 2016, 13:13 (Ref:3631474)   #3
sambeeb
Rookie

Australia
sydney
sambeeb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it just seems way more complex the more I think about it. For example a one wheel bump would be a combination of the spring stiffness but also the torsional force that goes through the twist beam. But a two wheel bump will be the pair of springs together, but no additional stiffness coming from the beam. You get the feeling that when cornering or when hitting a one wheel bump that the wheel rate comes from some degree of both springs + beam + RARB with the trailing arm pivoting from the trailing arms attachment to the twist beam. But a two wheel bump/launch compression will come from both springs only and pivot more from the whole rear ends pivot at the chassis mounting point because the compression loading is the same for both wheels. See what I mean - it seems as though its pivot point would vary depending upon what the car is doing, like a variable motion ratio, and its going to be inherently way stiffer in ride than in roll.
And my head really starts to hurt when you think about what might be happening when it lifts an inside rear.
When you guys work out wheel rates for normal Mac strut or double wishbone rear corners, do you do so with the bar disconnected or connected?