View Single Post
Old 28 Feb 2007, 09:43 (Ref:1853594)   #15
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb
I'm in a design based business, lots of subjectivity...and not.

Like a caster wheel on a shopping cart; positive mechancial trail, but no caster. Understood. And I also understand that pneumatic trail is a property of the tire; way back when bias ply tires provided all the mechanical trail. However, is it true that potentially strong self centering forces with high caster angles will wash out or over-power the 'feeling' we receive at the steering wheel due to pneumatic trail?

Steering wheel torque or effort can be measured. As a tire saturates this torque becomes lighter. This information is quite important to the driver.

Two scenerios, same tire, all else equal; no mechanical trail in the first. The second, 4-5 degrees of mechanical trail. In which scenario is the driver likely to receive better information regarding tire saturation?

urban, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I understand absolutely. Thanks!
Mechanical trail is measured in linear units not degrees. mm or inchs

I'm not dodging the question, but the way you framed it highlighted the lack of clarity in these sorts of debates. I don't doubt that you know that mechanical trail is a linear measurement, but why then identify it by an angular one?

Ben