View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1407953)   #24
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Automobile Antics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
Now, I'm not so sure but I don't believe that this is normal (BTW, I haven't mentioned it but the car is almost 10 years old and has 97.000Km. I live very far from the sea (over 1000 km) and other corrosion sources. The air is rather dry although it does rain often). Could this be indeed the cause of my electrical problems?
Most definitely. Ambient humidity can speed up corrrosion but it will happen eventually if there is any opening in the surface protection. Given the age and the fact that it is an electrical connection it looks normal (bad).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
And if so, will spraying an anti-corrosion compound do the trick or will I have to take these wires apart? (hoping it is not the latter because access is VERY difficult and I would probably need assistance from my mechanic).
Start with a wire brush and remove as much as you can. Then get an old toothbrush and "Baking Soda/Sodium Bicarbonate" and dip the brush in water, then the powder and go after it again until you have a good look at the connection. To be REALLY AND TRULY fixed, you should disssemble and clean everything. The fact that there are several wires in the group means that you have found the one place on the car where all the ground wires terminate. This could make all kinds of things operate better.