View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2017, 09:05 (Ref:3773616)   #36
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Ickx finished runner up in the WDC several times. There is a statistical reason to mention him in this thread. My memories of F1 start in 1976, so I cant really comment much more on him.

It is actually quite hard to come up with an utterly compelling argument for many drivers - Moss aside.

For example: If Ross Brawn had not rescued the old Honda team and given Button a drive, then Buttons F1 career would quite possibly have been over. Then someone might have put his name forward in this thread, and they probably would have been shot down in flames by some posters who would be pointing out his terrible season in the Benetton.

There is an argument that the cream will rise to the top. But there is also that random element / fate etc. If Ross Brawn put a young inexperienced driver in the car instead, then Rubens might have won the WDC instead of Button.

If / buts / maybes.

I like this thread, and it is good to hear peoples opinions about those who did not quite make it.