Thread: Track Design
View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2294475)   #7
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
matarleton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Purist, if you read my original post, nothing more than 4 miles. My preference is mid-ranged tracks as per post #3 of 2.5 to 3 miles. Tracks shorter than 2.5 miles are fine for some but less than 2 miles and you are just getting either too tight or not enough turns. I believe I mentioned a balance.

Some of the very long tracks are simply best for F1, ALMS, Indy... high speed. I prefer a design for the masses that also appeals to higher speed vehicles. If you can achieve that then you have really done your job.

As far as Tom and Luiggis posts, I agree that a good balance of types of corners is key. We seem to agree mostly on length.

By the way, for those that like Sebring, rethink elevation changes. Sebring has very little elevation change. The highest point you can put a car on is the drive over bridge to the paddock... by far!

What is interesting in the posts are the design influence differences between three people that I know race compared to one that I know doesn't (for reasons I am also aware of). Amazing how the view of the spectator is different from the view of the racer.

Matt