View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3701231)   #103
JamieStewart9
Rookie

JamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I was talking really about numbers in and out. And the potential to recoup the hosting fees really, not simply making money.

Obviously a club level meeting you are not paying large hosting fees as you are for any decent size international series. I would like to know how you know this, maybe you work there?

But I doubt you would get thousands of spectators, you would probably struggle for a few hundred paying, as the rest would be made up of team members and friends and parents that travelled with the rider.
Numbers in and out cause many added costs/problems. The comment was indeed about making money as the thread centred around what was "viable" and what was "not viable".

I know because I have been running events (stand alone events) for the past 22 years. I have also managed and operated 3 mainstream venues during that period (including Donington Park) and been involved in the negotiations of the contracts for Moto-GP, World Superbikes, Moto-X Des Nations, Supermotard GP, European Rallycross and many more.
Some of the supposedly 'informed' posts that posters here with very high daily post counts come up with from time to time make me smile at their naivety.

On the last point you are almost correct. Last year we (Thundersport GB) averaged 1,236 paid spectators per event which is considerably higher than the club meeting average which for combined car & bike non-promoted meetings hovers around 179 per day.