View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3701258)   #105
JamieStewart9
Rookie

JamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
OK so what you are saying is that for an event like SBK at Donington which might pull in perhaps 30000 paying spectators over the three days. Used to be a massive amount more under Flammini.

An event that hosts 1200 a day makes more money?

I think a hell of lot of people would find that hard to believe.

A SBK ticket would cost perhaps 40 quid with perhaps 25 on a qually day and 15 on Friday practice, don't know haven't been for years.

A thundersports race day ticket, maybe 20? a tenner on all other days?

Please enlighten us on where that vast amount of money goes? Can't all be hosting fees. Yes staff wages but the stalls all pay a plot fee, more income, you have camping at these events that you charge for, more income.

We have been told that Silverstone struggles to make money. And that the crowd figures there for 3 days are well in excess of 150000. All paying upwards of 100 quid a ticket. That's 15 million in gate receipts very roughly could be a few mill more or less. You can see why they struggle when they get no other income and the hosting fee is probably a large percentage of that.

Minuses, obviously a decent program costs a bit to print, more security. Lighting in camping areas. Electric, cleaners, water. First aid. Timekeepers.
Once again (as on many other subjects) you are thrashing around wildly with ill thought out quotes about a business you have little or no understanding of. You may be a long term fan and participant (and some of your outside observations can be quite insightful) but you do often shoot from the hip without any basis of understanding on the real situation.

I pay £70,000 for 3 days at Donington Park and they keep the gate money and all trade fees. That is the standard contract for cars or bikes.

For WSBK Donington Park are required to pay Dorna an inscription fee, provide the circuit for 5 days (including build up and break down days) not only free of charge, but with extra costs for TV paddock supply, power generation, paddock hospitality (water,waste, power, tv feeds). I won't even bother to include the lost revenue that would have been included for renting out those 5 days (3 of them being out of the total allocation of 60 available Race Days).

A weekend ticket costs £65 including parking outside at Bobs Baulk.

To cover those costs Donington Park need a REAL paying crowd of 24,230 which they do not even get close to. Therefore the venue operates that premier event at a considerable loss. You know - where you are paying out more money than you get back in for everything you can possibly charge for....

Donington Park costs around £13,600 per day to operate (security, staff, rates, electricity, maintaining the infrastructure etc).

Therefore they make around £44,300 profit from one of my 3 day events - which I think is fair given the bigger picture within motorsport.

I don't see why the simple maths of that are hard to understand and I rarely meet anyone who knows the true picture who finds it hard to believe. People just assume that big events make money, because the do not know the facts.

I do know all of the background figures, I just don't often get into a debate about them, as I think it is often unhelpful to end up in a pointless game of internet ping-pong with people who not only don't understand, but often don't actually want to understand.

I'm off on holiday now, so I'll leave you to it. Bye