View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2015, 09:29 (Ref:3543706)   #69
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Last time I checked, Nico Hulkenberg, as an independent, had a pretty streamlined way to the top.

And of course there's Max Verstappen.
Let's face it very few drivers get in to Formula 1 on pure merit, and I agree that many are 'streamlined', however, I would still maintain that Lewis had it pretty much on a plate from a very early age.
I am not saying that it was necessarily easy, he must have worked hard to deserve the chance, and proved a well worthwhile investment for McLaren at the end of the day, but it was all laid on for him from day one.

Clearly having a famous Dad has helped a few people along, Nico, Max, today and Damon Hill and Jacques Villenueve yesteryear. Whether it be the name, money, or contacts it does make life easier.

Jenson has always been a mystery to me in that respect, he did not win the British F3 Championship, but still went straight in to F1 and is still there.

I am not aware of any big backers, and his Dad was never 'famous', although he was always totally supportive.

Then! What do I know?

Cheers,

Bauble.