View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2015, 12:30 (Ref:3543762)   #72
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Although slightly off-topic according the thread title, this story does follow on from previous posts.
I attended the 1983 (I think) Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch, something that should have been a useful barometer of up & coming racing talent at the time.
From memory of looking through the race programme a few years ago, the only familiar name from then who had 'made it' further was Johnny Herbert.
Now, I have maybe missed a couple more competitors at that event who did make the big time, but the point I am making is that whereas there may be a number of highly talented youngsters around, but without the breaks and/or the backing, they will never make the big time.
(Although I'm not a soccer fan, I also bet that there are a few guys kicking a bag of wind around in a Sunday Club game who also have the talent & ability to be a professional, it's just that this hasn't been recognised).