Thread: Race Goodbye Malaysia.
View Single Post
Old 9 Oct 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3773278)   #48
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
They may be the same venue, or on the same site, but you're going to have a hard time arguing that the Red Bull Ring is the same as the old Osterreichring, or that the current Mexico City (where EVERY corner has been changed) has much of anything to do with that earlier iteration.

Presumably, Paul Ricard will use the Long Circuit (I'm not gonna be happy if they chicane the Mistral for 2018, but I can almost expect that they will), whereas from 1986 on, they used the Short Course, following Elio de Angelis' testing crash in the Brabham.

And they took off 1987 to redo half the circuit at Montreal.

Interlagos didn't return until 1990, and on a course that was just about halved compared to what they last used in 1980. For 1981-89, they were at Jacarepagua.

Of course, compared to back then, the post-2001 Hockenheim is almost unrecognizable.

Spain returned, to Jerez, after a hiatus from Jarama in 1981.

Hungary was practically getting its start in '86, as the only prior GP was way back in 1936.

It's still that core of Monza, Monaco, Spa, and Silverstone, with everything else fluctuating around those.

Thinking back to the '80s, it's too bad Estoril got redone specifically for MotoGP, though I'm not sure it would be much better anyway once Tilke had a go with it for F1.

And with Max Verstappen, rumblings of Zandvoort are heard here and there; Assen's probably closer to being ready for F1 though.

Last edited by Purist; 9 Oct 2017 at 19:40.