View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2017, 14:11 (Ref:3767951)   #8247
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
For those who don't like team orders, I have bad news, irrespective of my own views on it:

1: the practice has been around forever basically in motorsport,

2: Porsche will probably keep doing it until the #8 Toyota is out of it for the drivers' title,

3: This is what happens when LM is double points, the ACO say you can't get points at LM or any other WEC round unless you run 70% distance and do the last lap in less than a set time,

4: This makes Toyota dropping the ball at LM all the more regrettable,

5: I think a lot of us are spoiled by teams like Joest, Champion and Corvette Racing letting their drivers/teams race each other almost all the time in the ALMS and such. However, even the Audi teams (though rarely) used team orders, like Nurburgring in '08 and PLM the same year, mostly after the lack of at least temporary team orders cost them a race at Road America in '07.

Annoying though it may be, most attempts to ban or restrict team orders--much like cost control--have been failures. And since multicar teams in road racing aren't like Indy Car or NASCAR (where each team has their own sponsors), you're going to get more team orders stuff.

And it's not like Toyota aren't guilty of it either, since the #8 is in damage control mode after LM imploded on the team.