Thread: Monza Redesign
View Single Post
Old 25 May 2016, 18:11 (Ref:3644360)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think somebody still may have jumped the gun with this. This was just for the return of the FIM WSBK.

Having those two chicanes right in a row will spread the field out, perhaps more than the current arrangement. Also, the reduced radius of the new first corner and the short run to the second chicane will be detrimental to overtaking into both chicanes.

Furthermore, I imagine the new sequence will be flat (that is, no banking), and isn't Curva Grande slightly banked? You guys know just what a tricky act it is to go through Curva Grande side-by-side, so I wouldn't expect to see much, if any, of that in this new section.

(Especially with the field bunched, it might actually BE safer to use Curva Grande, even if it is taken at full-tilt all the way from Parabolica. After 1955, they made the Dunlop Curve at Le Mans a larger-radius corner, which made it safer; this change would be the reverse of that.)

Curva Grande is one of only two "original" corners left, with the other being Parabolica. Looking at the tangential trajectories, there's plenty of gravel outside of Curva Grande for F1. They ought to loosen up the second chicane just a bit if that's going to be the new, first braking zone, to mitigate some of the risk of a first-lap pile-up.

If this is GOING TO happen, be done with it, and have F1 go to Mugello instead.

Last edited by Purist; 25 May 2016 at 18:39.