View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3563913)   #53
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The short track was surprisingly good to drive on (I did it in an MG Montego!), but agree, as part of the full track, it wouldn't add a lot of value for spectators.

On its own, it was OK for spectators and I well remember Tony's Mazda, the Alfetta and Kim Austin's Chevette doing battle - and the crowd on their feet cheering!

There has to be a balance between what is good for a driver and what is good for a paying spectator.

A long track of 4.5kms means inevitably, that cars are out of sight far more than on a short track, so you get 5 lap club races instead of 8. With the appallingly low grid numbers in many classes, a long track is totally wasted.

If we want spectators back, then the track either has to be visible or grids have to be large - or both. In that respect, Taupo at least offers good viewing as does Manfeild, but neither are good for amateur photographers.

Getting a large grid of the Australian GT series on a longer Hampton track is something to really look forward to, and will also make great TV.