Thread: A1 Bankrupt!
View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2572544)   #91
Racing irl
Rookie

Racing irl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
I was very disappointed with the coverage that our national television broadcaster (RTÉ) dedicated to A1GP when Adam Carroll won the championship this year. On the news it seemed like an afterthought, one of those "and finally" type headlines, and I don't recall seeing any highlights programme - perhaps they didn't have the rights to broadcast the footage, I don't know. BBC Northern Ireland weren't much better either.

Like you pointed out in your post, unless you're a petrol-head you wouldn't really be conscious of a worldwide series such as A1GP compared with the likes of F1 and WRC. It's a shame because more often than not, people who describe motorsport as boring are only being exposed to Formula One Grands Prix which, let's face it, can be as dull as dishwater sometimes.
Thats not necessarily true, i was actually suprised by the level of coverage RTE actually gave A1 Ireland. On the weekend sports progs on radio 1 John Kenny interviewed the team most race weekends, there was also interviews on Sportsbag on 2fm, Drivetime aswell. And after winning the title Adam was on the Tuberty Tonight prog which is definetly the biggest coverage in A1 got here. Just a pity that last year seemed a breakthrough year here, that the series is looking so doubtful!