View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2018, 04:40 (Ref:3816966)   #99
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Roy Pierpoint won the first race of the 1965 BTCC (or BSCC as it was known then) season in March (13th) at the BSCC support race at Race of Champions non F1 race meeting .

Beechey won the ATCC race (and title) on 11th April at Sandown. (The title was decided over one race back then) Beechey was therefore the first National (Saloon/Touring) Car Championship winner in a Mustang.

Proviso: The only thing I cannot physically confirm at the moment is whether Pierpoint's win was an outright win as well as a class win. I know he won the class and believe he also won outright but currently dont have the outright result at hand. If he did not win outright as well then Stormin' Norman has the first outright (Touring Car) race winning Mustang accolade as well. I emphasise Touring Car because I have the feeling a Mustang may have won an SCCA event in the US previously.
Just for the sake of completion on this I have had a chance to check results and can now confirm that Pierpoint did in fact win the Brands race in his Mustang thus putting paid to the myth that Beechey had the first ever Mustang Touring/Saloon Car race win.

Full details (race report and results) and the late Frank de Jong's website:
http://touringcarracing.net/Races/19...tch%20RoC.html