View Single Post
Old 27 Jan 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2620213)   #24
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
[*]I was under the impression that Bristow's 1988 car was sold and a new car used for 1989. I think I asked the question in the '88 thread with the response that it was sold to Asia. Doesn't 10-Tenths member Martinlabatts own the 89-90 Bristow car, now?
I will have to look into that, as I can't remember where I picked that up.

Quote:
[*]Why were Hodgetts/Leslie and Goode/Lyall non-starters for Round 4 at Donington? I assume both cars had mechanical problems during practice/qualifying. Why didn't Leslie start when Nick May had started the race single-handed the year before? To save money when there was no chance of a result? And how was the Listerine car considered too slow when it was not the slowest qualifier overall? Did the RAC enforce an 'outside X% of fastest in class' regulation? Was there no mechanism in the regulations that would allow Goode's car to start, considering the car's usual performance? I know these questions are probably not covered in the race reports, but I'm just curious in how the British approach compared to the Australian approach of the time.
As reported from the race any class could only make up 40 % of the grid made up of 30 cars. In the Autosport report it's reported as "12 from 14 Sierras will be allowed to race" or something similar. There seems to have been done some tidying up of the sporting regulations in early 1989, which explain that one driver starting for a two driver race was a no-no by 1989.
The Goode Sierra was still the 14th and slowest RS500 due to what is described as a cronic misfire, while Hodgetts wasn't reported to have done any quick laps during qualifying.

Quote:
[*]I don't believe there was any substance to the rumour that Mahony was buying a DJR Sierra. DJR didn't have any cars to spare at that point, and wouldn't until DJR5 was completed in time for the Sandown 500 in September. Also, there was no mention of Mahony's rumoured purchase in the Australian magazines of the time.[/LIST]
I was a bit perplexed at this item too, as the six DJR cars seems to have been well covered on various threads, but will look out for any relevant news regarding the matter during 1989.

Jesper