Old 28 Jan 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2621049)   #45
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Phil Dowsett rumoured to be driving a Toyota Supra Turbo in 1990. But why?
I assume it would be partly because the 1600cc Corolla was going to be obsolete at the end of the year. Why go down a path proven to be a dead-end instead of developing a 2L Toyota for the new regulations, I don't know. Money, probably.

As an aside, the Dowsett, Dolley, and Lilliard Corollas were all sold to Australia at the end of the year. In fact, Bob Holden's existing AE86 Liftback Corollas were painted to match the Dolley and Lilliard cars!

Quote:
Smith and Edwards then tripped over the lapped Corolla of Geoff Kimber-Smith with both Sierras retiring on the spot.
On this incident, Brodie had just passed the Corolla on the inside approaching Westfield and Smith was about to follow him through. However, as he turned in to the corner the Cartel Sierra snapped sideways, a left-rear suspension failure pitching him off into the gravel. Kimber-Smith, faced with the red-and-white car spinning across his bows, could do nothing but crash into tail of the Sierra, but was able to continue with damage to his front left. Bristow eased off to avoid becoming involved but caught a closely-following Edwards unawares, the Kaliber driver electing to spin off in avoidance.

Edwards had just survived a near miss on the Brabham Straight at the start of the lap. Ray Armes had parked the Honda Civic on the edge of the track on the inside of the straight, rather than pulling onto the verge closer to the pit wall. Pulling out to pass the Labatt's Sierra, Edwards was suddenly faced with the rapidly-approaching rear of the parked Civic. Edwards only just avoided what would have been a very big accident.

Quote:
Given that the official BTCC site seems to recognise these disqualifications by 2010 but that Rouse ran #1 on his car in 1990, I'm a little confused. The Autosport review does say the Class A results are undecided as of late December 1989. Help requested.
I'm as confused as you! I was under the impression that the matter was resolved in Rouse's favour, and am surprised that an official BTCC page would show the disqualifications/points penalty if this was the case. I'll have a look through my early 1990 Auto Actions to see if it mentions anything. The RAC was pretty busy that winter, with both the Rouse matter and the protracted resolution to the 1989 British F3 Championship to keep them occupied!