View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2016, 01:14 (Ref:3607775)   #24
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh I am well aware of the bigger picture. At an early stage the Greyhound bid dropped including Stock Cars in its proposals, as it thought "dropping the noisy sport" would help it get residents onside. Plus no stock cars means no pits, so space to build houses which in turn finances the new stadium.

I'm pretty certain if the owners did not get their way for planning permission, they would have just done what happened to the Speedway team, and put rent up till it was no longer viable run Stock Cars or Greyhounds, and then the site would be left to decay, till one day it "accidentally caught fire" or similar.

I think most of the Stock Car world has stood quiet, and just accepted Wimbledon was going to be a memory like Crossing Hand or Wisbech.

But I really admire that a few Banger drivers, didn't want to let it go quietly, and just started by trying to give away a stuffed toy called "Boris" in a competition on Facebook, to highlight their sadness at the planning decision, to then getting Newspaper interest, to a petition that got 2000 signatures in one evening.

I know 10,000 signature isn't enough to save the day. Wimbledon AFC has 36,000 twitter followers, so if they rallied the many, they could squash the valiant Bears Banger Teams Efforts. But also from Twitter, I see the club seemed pleased to get 640 something fans at its last away match. So maybe they are not that popular.

And from visits to Croft, look what happen to Darlington..they knocked down the Football pitch in the Town, built that shiny new 25,000 seater Stadium on the outskirts, and in 2012 with attendances of 2000, stopped playing there.

So my head is in the real world, but my heart admires the passion of a few Bangers Drivers, who have achieved a great deal to raise public awareness in less than a month.

So I`m just glad there is a way to say "We don't like this". and I just urge any motorsport fan to back "The Brighton Bears Banger Team" and sign the petition. Just to say Wimbledon Stadium was "ours" she was an important part of our lives and we will miss her.

And the Capital will be poorer for her loss. London gains nothing by having yet another Football Pitch, but it looses a complete Sport with over 50 years of History. London is a heading mix of old and new, the Lndon Eye looking over the Houses of Parliament, The Shard over The Tower of London. It is richer for a mix of old and new.

There is just a day left to sign, before the planning decision is reviewed.

Just google "save Wimbledon stock car racing" to find it.

Last edited by Stephen H; 25 Jan 2016 at 01:28.