View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3700321)   #152
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
None of us on this forum really know the detail of driver's personal position and it is fruitless to speculate on such detail. Given that all the current cars are within about 105% the question remains, would a team make more, or faster progress up the grid by placing more emphasis on talent than budget
I think the spirit of your initial question is if you spend more on the driver or the car? I think a backmarker car with a top level driver will push you a position or two ahead in the overall driver points at end of season and not much if anything more. If you are at the edge of getting points and then end of year money, then that might be worth the risk. You are still robbing peter (car development) to pay paul (the driver) so it may be a wash and the quality driver only outperforms his poor teammate but with no forward movement for the team. And if you are already scoring points, then lack of driver talent is probably not what is holding you back.

To your question directly above "talent or budget". It's not an "either/or" proposition. You need a budget to get talent. And the talent is not all on the driver side. To the larger question... the focus should be on obtaining stable funding, so you can build a quality team that can work well together.

I think some teams may subscribe to the "super chicken" model. Watch this for details...

https://www.ted.com/talks/margaret_h..._order_at_work

Personally, I am somewhat leery of taking the behaviour of chickens to model human behaviour, but... I generally agree with the problem with super chicken organizations.

So in short, it's maybe less important to hire an Adrian Newey as it is to have a team that works well together (if you can do both, even better!). I don't know much about Force India, but they seem to be doing something right with a smaller budget. I suspect it is high productivity via good teamwork and management.

Richard