View Single Post
Old 24 Nov 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2795344)   #3
Tailgate
Rookie

United Kingdom
NE England
Tailgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andrew,

I am that newbie ! I felt obliged to reply as a lot of folk replied to my post, all very helpful. In fact everyone I've had contact with have been enthusiastic and helpful. I ended up with a Zetec Mygale, so obviously I've leaned towards the Zetec fraternity, they have been very supportive and encouraging so that's a big plus.

Firstly I wouldn't worry too much about age, for what its worth I'm a good bit older than you and just starting out. I understand someone's size may result in an issue with different makes of cars so that may influence what you buy but its fair to say there is a good spread of ages racing FF.

Regarding the engine choice, there are more race options with Kent compared to Zetec but I also believe they are more fragile and may well require regular rebuilds (costly), the Zetec is virtually a standard engine so should give a good number of seasons racing without letting you down or causing you to empty your wallet, something to consider. You could always convert the car at a later date from Zetec to Kent if you fancied a change.

I was very tempted to go the classic route, partly due to my own vintage but also because I liked the look of chrome wishbones etc but I suspect you'd have to spend a lot more money, something I didn't want to do when just starting out.

When it comes to buying a car there some dealers who I'm sure will help, who knows you may get some offers from your post, I would have thought the closed season may well be when some people give up or change class so keep your eye's peeled on the net.

Finally, there are lot more knowledgeable folk on here than me to suggest options for you and your friend, it might pay to attend some meetings before committing to a car or do some arrive and drive, however, I think you should both buy a Zetec......but I would say that wouldn't I !!

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions, incidentally I'm in the North East..........

Dave.