Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3782376)   #2471
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I would expand the last part just a bit. I think it also goes beyond independent suppliers. Other manufactures who might be interested watch the bloodbath from the sidelines. How secret sauce solutions rule and all who come face a long uphill climb to success (if they ever are able to climb to the top). Why would they want to spend a lot of money to potentially be the next Honda?

A less complex, less costly solution might being in other manufactures.

Richard

You're quite right. A move away from the current engines could indeed attract more manufacturers.

I've thought about it a bit more and concluded that below would quite work well. Someone being stuck last year with a bad engine (like McLaren) would not have a way out of that situation in the below proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
– Each manufacturers is forced to (be able to) supply all teams minus the numbers of other engine supplies (so currently that would be 7). Preference is based on last years championship standing. This is to avoid teams like Red Bull or McLaren to be stuck without a competitive engine.

So I would change it to:

– Each manufacturers is forced to (be able to) supply all teams minus the numbers of other engine supplies (so currently that would be 7). A team can pay more than the limit to get a better performing engine (which the manufacturer is obliged to supply), however everything above the much lower maximum engine fee won't go straight to the supplying manufacturer. Part of it would and part would go to either general revenue (and thus be distributed as usual) or directly be divided among teams or manufacturers.

Consequences:
- Manufactures can't keep good teams (Red Bull, McLaren from getting good engines)
- There is a lower limit to how much is feasible to spend on engine development
- Teams with weak financial health can get a cheap engine.
- If the money paid above the max engine cost is (partly) redistributed among manufacturers new manufacturers or ones lagging behind are persuaded to join/stay and be successful.