Thread: Race Control...
View Single Post
Old 6 Mar 2016, 08:37 (Ref:3620470)   #4
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I don't think race control is as bad as made out on this occasion.

1) Race Start - I don't think there was any doubt the race had started - under safety car, and with laps being ticked off. That scenario was 888 trying to bend the rules to their situation. Correct call to refer the issue to race control, and correct call to say the race was under way.

2) Fuel Fill issue. Is there still a need for this rule? Originally introduced as a means of equalizing fuel consumption between the OHV Ford/GM engines and the DOHC Nissan/AMG engines, before Volvo entered the game. Is fuel consumption of the different engine types still monitored, and are the DOHC engines still thirstier, or have they improved? In itself this is not Race Control, this is V8SC rules and whether they are reviewed or not.

Any time a new rule is brought in, there always stands the chance of an unforeseen or previously not experienced situation resulting in question marks like today. If the 30 second penalty was in the rules, then the situation had been allowed for by the rule makers, but not many knew about it or took their time to find it. If Race Control knew they were going to apply this rule once the race was time certain and not 78 laps, it would have been nice if they could have advised the commentary team, and perhaps team managers.

3) Time certain finishes. Sometimes you see the reasoning, sometimes you don't. In this case, I didn't, and whose call was that? V8SC, Race Control, ch10, Foxtel? Channel 10 broadcast finished half an hour earlier than indicated, and did not even flow into a news. The race had recommenced, and if it had been allowed to finish, or at least run 30 minutes longer it would have potentially removed fuel fill as an issue, and kept a lot of viewers (and attendees?) happier.

4) Race incidents - really, if SVG got no penalty, I would like to see that explained with reference to today's other turnarounds. I guess that will come post race. With reference to SVG redressing - he didn't really. JC simply got away better after SVG turned left. If this is called a racing incident, OK - but if SVG is found at fault, I would have thought a penalty of some sort is called for. I hope consistency is applied ...

I thought the race had a lot more interest than most between the SC coming in after lap 6 and the race suspension. The time certain finish totally killed it for me, and I think V8SC need to rethink how they allow for this. I know TV pays the money, but today TV robbed the race of an interesting last 30 or so laps.

Last edited by RedZedMikey; 6 Mar 2016 at 08:43.