Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3016786)   #33
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hewitt View Post
The fastest lap I ever did at Mallory was unofficial as it was a test day in Feb 04 , it was 47.8 on Avons , The fastest official lap I ever did was a pole time of 48.1 , also in 04, so the times set in 1992 were totally representative and therefore realistically achievable.
The times at Mallory have been all over the place for some time now , even with the new surface , there doesn't seem to be a definitive benchmark , I reckon anywhere from 1990 -2005/2006 were more a fair reflection timewise , to be quick at Mallory throughout that era you needed to be minimum of 48.5 and below , regardless of tyres (Dunlops were better in quite a few respects though , notably longevity !)
The lap records that were set , whenever they were set , on whatever tyres they were set should stand , forget all this current convoluted class structure , thats total ****** , the person who has set the quickest lap overall at any given circuit should be the one who has the privilege of holding the Lap Record , Period.
I totally agree with you here Nick. The Dunlops were definitely harder and therefore lasted longer (something they need to get back to; Avon are doing a good job in that respect, heading in the right direction). But I think the 2005-2010 Avons were some of the quickest Kent tyres ever; they were so much softer than Dunlops and 2011-spec rubber.

I reckon a low 48s is achievable and 47s could happen on a 'float' day. Lap records shouldn't be easy to break, and they are often broken on strange days. The Combe record was broken by around one second in 2008 despite no major changes and unremarkable weather. As I said, I did a 48.7s having had my longest ever winter break (Nov-Mar) and the car was doing it's first run after a major chassis revision, on throwaway tyres (they always suit Mallory?). The Mallory lap record is one I really want to get, precisely because it is still held by Spence. It'll be 20 years this year, it'd be pretty special to snatch it.

The only time circuit changes should void a lap record is when they make a major revision, like adding a big ****-off chicane or a **** infield section (see Snetterton).

Last edited by barnettracing; 25 Jan 2012 at 13:43. Reason: Spelling.