View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3283661)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A repeat of one of my posts from May 2009 in another thread.

A had a few hours spare while I was in London so made a nostalgic trip to Crystal Palace. CP was the first race track I ever visited and I was there for it's final meeting.

As seen on Google Earth with layout and corner names added:

The startline and pits circa 1971...

...a similar view 12.30pm 12/03/2009 (yesterday) - My apologies for the quality, these were taken with the camera on my mobile phone!

A view from towards the back of the grid. A short stretch has been grassed over.

Looking back towards the startline - the tarmac here looks like it could be all that's left from CP's racing days.

Heading towards North Tower.

North Tower in..

...North Tower out.

The Glade

Park Curve. This area was out of bounds for spectators. I never realised the houses were so close. No wonder there were complaints about the noise.

New Link.

Stadium straight. There is a little track by the blue boxes which I think maybe for radio controlled cars.

Stadium straight towards Ramp Bend. The Grandstand and offices now use part of the circuit.

Ramp Bend. I think the concrete wall on the left may have been around in racing days.

Anerley Ramp

Maxim Rise. The bridge from the station that went over the track has gone.

Finally heading into South Tower.

It's sad that there appears to be no recognition that racing took place there. I was chatting to a chap who was walking his dog and he had no idea what I was talking about. There is a little Museum on site, but unfortunately that was closed due to structural damage by vandals!

At least the Sprint has brought some sort of motor Sport back to CP.