Thread: My Circuits
View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:21 (Ref:1845569)   #1
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Circuits

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted a new track for a long time so I thought I'd bring to you (over time) a few designs I haven't yet showcased here at My Tracks yet. I've been viewing all of your works from afar and I've been very impressed with some of the stuff going on here. Keep it up!

1: Niki Lauda Circuit, Vienna, Austria

The NLC is a purpose built raceway in Donaustadt, the largest district of Austria's capital Vienna. Named after a Viennese hero, three times F1 World Champion; Niki Lauda, the circuit runs in a clockwise configuration and has ten official corners.

It's original design proposal featured a much longer track, which encorporated a banked turn (much like the final, Peraltada corner at Mexico City). Those plans were scrapped due to safety, land and financial restrictions, so a shorter route was devised using the same (albeit slightly altered) upper section, which I, the designer rather liked.

Here you can see the original plan;

Above: The Original Plan featured a banked turn (far right) which housed within it's confines the proposed pit/paddock complex. You will also notice an insanely quick first section, through two right handed kinks before heavy breaking into a 90 degree right hander.

Futher to this, there were plans for a short circuit too;

Above: This plan shows the original designs for a short circuit, which utilized only the first right kink after the start. After that, the cars take a series of quick right hand corners rejoining the circuit on the backstraight.

So, unhappy with these designs in general the design team and I, at the request of the FIA, started work on a new design making a focal point of the looping section at the top of the circuit. This is what I came up with;

Above: Here, can be seen the new circuit now situated in Donaustadt. It features a wider upper section, new lower section and an all round slicker design. It has a brand new, state of the art pit/paddock complex and is a pleasant mix of fast flicks, and opportunity riddled hairpins.

To showcase the change, here is a map on map overlay.

Above: Here we see the overlay, demonstrating the scale of change.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

UP NEXT: HAARLEM

Last edited by shambles; 19 Feb 2007 at 15:23.