View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3066305)   #60
elansprint72
Rookie

elansprint72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoidiodyssey View Post
I don't think the Sigma 150-500 has been mentioned yet. In the US it runs around $500 less than the Canon 100-400. It is heavy, and not the fastest lens in the world at f5-6.3. But I love mine. I upgraded from a 55-250 with the idea that I would keep the 55-250 as a mid range zoom. After one race I had to upgrade my mid range glass, the 150-500 was so good it put my 55-250 to shame. I think it is the cheapest way to get to 500mm and 500mm is addictive.
As a Nikon man I can't advise on Canon lenses but I'm also using a Sigma (BIGma) 150-500 and am very pleased with it. Costs about £750ish from UK suppliers (stay away from Simply Electronics, who are always cheapest but don't deliver... anything! Check their feedback).

The zoom on the Sigma rotates in the opposite direction to my Nikons, which took one race meeting to adjust to- having a picture editor breathing down your neck makes for fast learning!

For an amateur, with all the associated problems of limited clear view-points and intrusive safety fences, etc. I suppose that one really has to able to justify mega expenditure on equipment. I believe it is about the bloke behind the lens, rather than the tools he uses.

There are an increasing number of lenses which can be used for multi-tasking these days, I've got a 28-300, which would not normally be my weapon of choice for racing shots but it does the job perfectly well. It, along with an 18-35 zoom, would be entire kit for a holiday, or city-centre shoot, for example.

Photos at:
www.petetaylor.org.uk