View Single Post
Old 25 Dec 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2604984)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Interesting so many put AM above TK, as would I. I tend to think that if you want to win Le Mans, possibly Petit LM, you want Kristensen on board. If you want to win anything else, particularly a title, Allan is your man.
Very surprising that I appear to be the only one [so far] that would place Kristensen ahead of McNish. The thing is, the marathons [Le Mans, Petit LeMans] are more difficult to win than a title because not only are they practically the equivalent in terms of mileage, you don't have the option to fail to finish as you do when you're accumulating points. They are the very essence of what sportscar racing is all about and Kristensen's achievements there are absolutely stupendous when you stop to think about it. Many teams and manufacturers would happily swap a win at Le Mans for a title... and many drivers would too.

When it comes to ranking sportscar drivers, I think we need to heavily weight the marathons because not to do so would lean us to over rank the faster guys who dipped into sportscar racing and who would possibly have McNish and Kristensen for dinner in a sprint.