View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 2017, 23:17 (Ref:3783303)   #1173
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The weight problem isn’t the same as the getting the driver out or the visibility issues. Those two other problems clearly need more effort to overcome than the halo. They also still have the weight issue that the halo has. So there is only one of these to overcome with the halo and three of these to overcome with the shield. The shield clearly needs more development time because of this.

Not that I’m saying the weight thing isn’t unimportant.

The shield has only one test session. Why? Well the teams are as much to blame as the FIA. If they had tried harder then they could have demonstrated it to the FIA. Given more information and pushed it to the same standard or ahead of the halo.

And I’ll return to my previous comment. If the halo had a performance advantage then Force India, or whichever team, would have solved it by now. As they haven’t what hope was there for them to solve the other challenged with the shield.

I don’t think that the crash test is relevant. IIRC the halo is tested in a different way. One is the entire chassis holding together and absorbing an impact with, say a wall. The halls job is different.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not claiming it is ultimately better. Just that it is at the moment.

The teams are acting more like fans at the moment, they’re just sitting there are moaning. Politicking if you like, knowing that the press pick up their comment and write the story. Perhaps they, with the FIA, should put more effort into this. The geniuses are in the teams, as are the moaners.

To summarise. The halo has one problem to overcome. The shield three problems. The shield could be the better solution, but needs more development. Which no one has been arsed to do.
IndyCar have rejected the Halo, because of the ovals, so it will be interesting to see how they deal with these three problems the Shield potentially faces, if and when they arise during testing.