Thread: Sauber
View Single Post
Old 10 Apr 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3725349)   #69
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Why do armchair enthusiasts always slam a rookie for crashing?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And I agree, give Giovinazzi time. A rookie crashed. OMG, not like that has happened before, has it?
I am not sure if those comments above are directed at me for bringing it up in this thread or the fact that it is being talked about in general.

Everyone is quick to discard the fact that he crashed the car heavily twice in the same weekend. Accident during qualifying while pushing hard? Maybe Ok, he gets one "free" crash as a rookie, even if he probably didn't need to push as hard as he was. The second? No so much. While conditions were not dry, it was him crashing out while accelerating in a straight line on a known damp part of the track. But... apparently we are not allowed to comment on rookie mistakes without it being viewed as over to top and inappropriate? The are in F1! At what point do we stop coddling them?

Regardless, it's not about slamming a rookie for crashing, but rather commenting upon the implications. Look at the context.

He does not have a full ride, but rather is doing race by race substitution. My point is that if he did have a full ride he can more easily recover by learning from his mistakes and then putting forth good performances in future races. However if Wehrlein is back in the car soon (maybe as early as the next race) that will leave Giovinazzi with a short and not particularly impressive F1 record. Showing speed, but maybe pushing too hard given the team's situation.

F1 has a very illogical need to roll the dice on the "next great thing". I can easily see teams looking at Giovinazzi and saying "he had his chance" (and it likely being an unfair assessment) so they pick someone else. If there was one point of my post, it is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
If that's grounds to dismiss Giovinazzi then Stroll should've been out of F1 already.
I believe Giovinazzi is there on basis of ability while Stroll is there because his Dad wrote a large check (jury is still out as to if he is out of his depth). So you can't compare the two.

Richard