Thread: Old tracks
View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1456656)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Nintendo - I note from your profile you were born two years after the Osterreichring last hosted a Grand Prix.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking everything before your time was marvellous and everything you can remember is rubbish.

There can be a romanticism of things we never experienced first hand.
On this occasion though, Nintendo's right I believe. It was an exciting track to watch an F1 race and produced some amazing races, particularly finishes. The Bosch curve was a pretty awesome piece of tarmac too, something a lot of drivers of the time missed after 1987. It was very dangerous too, one of the reasons it was dropped I believe. The old Österreichring claimed the life of Mark Donohue during practice in 1975. In a strange twist of fate, John Watson, who took Mark's place in the Penske, went on to win his first GP there a year later.