Thread: Old tracks
View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1456706)   #18
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
On this occasion though, Nintendo's right I believe. It was an exciting track to watch an F1 race and produced some amazing races, particularly finishes. The Bosch curve was a pretty awesome piece of tarmac too, something a lot of drivers of the time missed after 1987. It was very dangerous too, one of the reasons it was dropped I believe. The old Österreichring claimed the life of Mark Donohue during practice in 1975. In a strange twist of fate, John Watson, who took Mark's place in the Penske, went on to win his first GP there a year later.
That's fair enough regarding the fact it was unsafe. But it could have been changed to make it safe, ie. wider start-finish straight, better run-off areas, flatten the runoff areas (I remember de Cesaris was flipped after driving over some undulating grass) and stuff like that. I have only seen the track once on a DVD but I saw enough to say that it was as good, if not better, than Spa is at the moment.