View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2011, 05:27 (Ref:2914172)   #259
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
If the WEC indeed races on the new circuit the ALMS is in a world of hurt.

Most (if not all) big European teams would probably end up not doing Sebring or the PLM anymore and a 12h & 10h race with their sparse fields? Yikes...
You know all of the big car counts at ILMC races this year? You might want to enjoy it this year because that may no longer be the case anywhere next year. The LMS is done with the WEC next year. Maybe some LMS teams will do partial seasons in the European WEC rounds if the ACO will allow that, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage View Post
I cant see the WEC ever skipping Sebring, there is far too much history and prestige. RA might get cut, but ideally we would have both still on the calendar.
History and prestige seems to have little to do with what gets put on and what does not. It's all about money and control. The ACO would not have to worry about who has TV rights and so forth if they do not race at ALMS events.

The Austin track may be what is being targeted for the WEC, but who knows. Maybe the ALMS will race there too, but that does not mean those events will be run together. Anyway, all we know is there will be a North American round. Does that mean the United States or Canada? I don't know. Maybe they'll race in Mexico. Peugeot would like that. I would think that Porsche would want to race in the United States, but their LMP1 program does not start for another couple of years. They may have some influence with their GTE program, but Porsche does not have any GTE-Pro cars in the ILMC so do they even care? Maybe they will. If nothing else, I'd hope Audi would advocate for a US round. Hopefully they will call for rounds at Petit and Sebring or at least one of them.

If the WEC does not race at Sebring and/or Petit, I would hope that they are still auto-invite races so that maybe some non-WEC teams will travel to those races.