View Single Post
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3739032)   #52
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
a rather long article about Carey/Liberty's approach for the future of F1's TV and digital media coverage.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...d-prix-913505/

not much new info here other then a reaffirmation that they are looking at all platforms (FTA, PayTV, digital, multi devices) which is great but still light on the details.

one thing that caught me was a mention of a hypothetical price point for a premium subscription package.

"We haven't priced it yet, but let's say, for example, 10 bucks a month to access that package.

over the years this is an approach i have favoured (even advocated for) but in today's current environment of content/streaming options, $10/mos can buy you far more content a month to consume then F1 could possibly provide (think a monthly netflix subscription for example).

in all likely hood i would pay for a premium subscription, but i wonder if they have waited too long to implement this and if their price point hypothetical is too high for it to be successful enough to maintain and/or produce the necessary new content required to make it worth while in the first place.

i look forward to the inevitable comments about how some will never pay for F1!
I have always said that I will never pay for F1 on TV! However, if it was the only way I could get to see decent coverage of the races & qualifying I could be tempted. What worries me about this is that it will be given a higher price than I am prepared to pay, and is then padded out with extra stuff (to theoretically add value to the product) taking additional time that I don't have to watch.
For me, a simple system that I can access when I want, to see qualifying and then the race (like I do at the moment having pre-recorded the free coverage on Channel 4) would suit me if it's not available of FTA. Unlike now, I doubt if I'll be wanting to watch every race, but if it's my only chance, and if I remain interested in F1 racing, then I could be tempted...