Thread: Argo
View Single Post
Old 10 Dec 2007, 03:48 (Ref:2085236)   #125
Neptune
Racer

United States
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Neptune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing the photo of Tom Pomeroy in the Argo and seeing his message earlier through John Streets hand brought a couple of points to mind. One is that it's good to see Tom in active discussions about his racing. I've talked with Tom a couple of times at the prompting of a mutual friend, Charlie Smith, since Charlie knows of the relationship between Toms Argo and my Modus, M1, both being on the front row of the 1980 SCCA runoffs at Road Atlanta. I might also mention that I autocrossed(slalom) against Tom back in the late 60s and early 70s and he was a strong competitor then too. But I was still an engineering student at Ohio State and not able to devote the hours into my Sprite that Tom was to his FV.

I must also mention that SCCA continued Formula Junior in 1964, a year later than the FIA recognized it. In 1965, SCCA established new classes for formula cars: Formula A for formula 1 cars and also cars using stock block engines of up to 5 liters, also called formula 5000.

The number of cars being imported and converted to what had been formula Libre were covered with a new class of Formula B for up to 1600cc production car engines. This class continued for many years until it essentially became Formula Atlantic in the late 70s.

At the start of these new classes, the most common car was the previous year's Formula Juniors. There was also a source for new cars coming into this class for under 1100cc engines as the FIA 1000cc F2 and F3 cars were allowed. This new class was called formula C. FC continued through 1978 and was even experiencing a resurgence due to the Cosworth BDJ motor and appropriate FIA F3 cars to fit them into.

But, for the 1979 season, SCCA combined FC and FSV into a new class called Formula Continental, but also abbreviated FC. I believe there were more liberal rules for FSV cars running in the pro SV races, but for club racers, there was NO decision required as to run in Formula Continental or FSV. Soon the class was dominated by FSV cars and ex-FC cars pretty much disappeared. The last strong performance by an ex-FC car that I am aware was the 1980 runoffs when Mike Rand put my Modus on the pole for the combined race of Formula Continental cars. The outside front row car was Tom's Argo, but driven by another. A few years later, SCCA played w/ the rule book again and added the Formula Ford 2000 cars to the Continental class. Buried in the rules though were allowances for running an under 1100cc engined car or an air-cooled SV. Still abbreviated FC, most have no idea that the class was initially for left over Formula Juniors.

My point here though was to explain there was no choice for FC and FSV competitors in the USA in 1979. Everyone had to be in Formula Continental.

Roger