View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2017, 00:40 (Ref:3703048)   #73
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
... it's different if you're intending to actually tail the factories instead of maybe beat the LMP2s)
No way any P1-L is going to compete with the factories. 1000 bhp trumps 600-700 and the rest is the same.

Plus the factories have almost unlimited budgets for testing and development, and can drill their crews as much as they want. Porsche and Toyota own racetracks; everyone else has to rent one.

Besides, FIA-ACO doesn't Want P1-L actually competing with P1-H. If that happened, the manufacturers might take their billions and go play elsewhere. P1-L will always be an also-ran category, in between P1-H and P2.

I can pretend, but really, I know I don't have the answer. I don't know how to make P1-L cost-effective and competitive and attractive to the range of teams who chased Peugeot and Audi all those years. I'd like to see the class have some life, though ... I can remember the few times I saw the Euro P1s at Sebring or Road Atlanta ... they definitely looked and sounded good going around--even if Audi and Peugeot were on another planet performance-wise.

(I'd post pics but my storage is broken ... lucky for you.)