View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2002, 21:50 (Ref:446570)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The tranchmanche ferries may be cheap but their timing is awful. Last year we we booked that for a 4pm sailing back on Monday night and this was changed at the last minute to either 9.00am monday morning of 1.00am Tuesday morning. These were no good to us so we ended up driving back to Calais after much ranting at the operator.
So unless you are guaranteed to be on a Hoverspeed service I would not take that route.
As you know Caen is the shortest route, but I have also done Cherbourg and quite liked it. The road from Cherbourg to Caen is nearly all dual carriageway and although a little boring, generally takes less than an hour.
Some friends on mine have done St malo which is a much longer crossing and is therefore fine if you travel overnight and get a cabin, but is too long (12 hours I think) for a day crossing.
My favourite depends on what car I am driving. Last year we went back to Calais and I was in a very fast car and travelled up to autoroute at ***mph and loved every minute. But normally I am in a 40 year old Austin Healey, in which I prefer to go to Caen and take it more easy.