View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:46 (Ref:688422)   #12
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem seems to be with the modern special GT/sports saloons is that the class structure. The bottom class is upto 1600cc, which either means a Radical prosport/SR3 or similar and lots of money spent, and with minimum weight limit of 550kg (without driver) then most of the older cars are just not competative. How many Maguire's or mini's /specials are close to that. Most are alot under, and this means there advantage is lost (less weight means better braking/cornering/corner speed).

If more classes/series went to a power to weight ratio format then you will see imp engined stuff against for example racing and beating Porsche for example.

Look at the SRGT series run by 750mc, a Davrian (imp engined kit car ineffect) beating Jag C/D types and 911's. Yes you still have the big banger class at the front but people can by the car that looks great, and then when funds allow get a faster engine and move up a class. It worked in the past but died out in the 80's and 90's, and that with half the cars still being around, but were made obsolete overnight. There must have been a couple of other issues around at the time as well.

It was great to see a 1100 Maguire Silletto (450kg/130bhp)racing and beating alot more modern machinery last year at Brands FF festival. Pity the David vs Goliath battles are nearly exstinct. I would have loved to have seen some of the 70's modsports/specials racing, .

btw I do remember the David Ellis Aston Martin V8 from the 80's, does anyone know anything about this beast, I know it was special and destroyed the opposition many a time...