View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2505635)   #270
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the welcome Chunterer and Peter.I have been digging around at home for more related info.The grey area we have around the CC12-CC15 builds and original owners does intrigue me.Around 1980 we have information previously on the thread to the effect that 17 or so cars had been built up to and including that year.During 1979 Colin Vandervell appeared in a plain white virtually un-sponsored Capri.The only thing i can remember seeing on the car was signwritten front wings, with the AQUABATTEN (spelling?) wording. The car did not appear at all the rounds, but i did see the Mallory round which Vandervell won, a race which started virtually dry but the rain worsened causing mayhem to those who started on slicks.Among the casualties were the Spice team,(Gordon and Chris Craft),Walkinshaws fancied RX7,Allam and Woodman.Vandevell started on inters.,drove a carefull race while others pitted or went off the track
To give an idea of the mixed up result, Tony Lanfranchi in Alan Fosters old
ex-DTV Magnum finished 2nd!.C.V. also finished a good 5th at Silverstone GP support race only 7 seconds behind winner Spice after 20 laps.
The car must have been pretty decent or quite new considering the quality of competition, most of the Silverstone race was a Capri train with 8-10 cars slipstreaming around the old GP track inches apart,closely followed by Marshall (Dolomite) and Walkinshaw (RX7), spoilt when the latter touched Gerry at Club causing a massive shunt,the Dolly almost clearing the debris fencing and knocking big Gerry about badly.
Sorry for the waffle,but this Vandervell Capri may be one of the missing CC builds of the time.Another question is Brian Muirs 1980 car entered by Patrick Motor Sport/Shell.Did PMS build Capris or just run them? Perhaps Muir,PMS with Shell money bought a prepared car from CC?? Just two more to consider that may fill a gap in the history.