View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2010, 01:26 (Ref:2775965)   #18
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, it could be really interesting. But in order for it to work it would need a lot of promotion from NASCAR (so far not seen in their Grand-Am offshoot), at least one US manufacturer (to give some hometown appeal on the branding front) and significantly different technical rules (that would allow the cars to actually put on a good race).

I think that the second and third aspects may be resolved (Opel is looking at possibly jumping in, and if they do, it wouldn't be hard to rebrand an Opel in North America as a Buick). And the 2012 rules should be much better on the racing front (unless the ITR is completely incompetent; although I have not encountered a sanctioning body that isn't).

But with regards to the first issue, I have some serious concerns. If NASCAR genuinely want to do this as a new premium series to reach fans not interested in their traditional product; then I think the series could really work. However, part of me thinks that this may just be a way to divert big manufacturers away from competing series by providing them somewhere to race which satisfies their technical requirements (since they are not about to go for pushrods, carbs and suspension from the 60s), but which keeps them in a convenient location which denies resources to NASCAR's competition.

I really don't know if it's the former or the latter.