View Single Post
Old 6 Jan 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2811992)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's an interesting thought. Thankfully, the major resorts have provisions for making their own snow if that is required.

Anyway, this reminded me of a couple of tracks that have come from the Gran Turismo series. Grindelwald from GT2 and Eiger Nordwand from GT5 are placed at the feet of the Bernese Alps, and specifically, at the feet of the Eiger, Monk, and Jungfrau peaks.

Thanks to the digital switchover making Universal Sports an over-the-air channel, I've been catching a lot of action from the Wold Cup of Alpine Skiing. The next two downhill events are the biggest on the calendar: Wengen, Switzerland (the Lauberhorn) and Kitzbuhl, Austria (the Hahnenkamm). If my memory serves, these courses encompass more than 2,500 vertical feet each. The Hahnenkamm downhill is roughly 2 miles, which the Lauberhorn is at least 2.7 miles, and my be as much as 3 miles long.