View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2000, 19:59 (Ref:30530)   #5
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KC, I don't think Cal Wells or Chip Ganassi will raise the bar higher in Winston Cup. It has already been raised very high for them before they ever got there. I really don't think Cal Wells will ever field a championship caliber Winston Cup team. Chip Ganassi might but it will take years and then he won't be able to dominate like he did in CART. He said in this interview something to the effect that you can be on top of your game as a team in Winston Cup and still be a tenth in the point standings, it is that competitive.

In order to dominate in CART, it takes money and technology. In NASCAR, it still takes money and technology to a lesser degree but there is more of an emphasis on people. Hiring and retaining the right people is a big key in being successful in Winston Cup. Look at Rick Hendrick without Ray Evernham, his teams are still very good but they are no where near as dominant as they once were a couple of years ago. People like Evernham get great offers elswhere and then they move on. I guess you could argue the same about Mo Nunn but Ganassi's demise this year has really been the unreliability of the Toyota engine in my opinion and Mo hasn't shown me much with his team so far.