View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2908683)   #36
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
That they won't go to F1 dosen't mean they will stay in LMP1 though. They could be concentrating on touring cars, start a factory GTE project with the R8 or something else.

To be competitive in LMP1 you have to spend almost F1-like money and I seriously don't see VAG running two major programmes like that at once in the same series..it makes no sense.

Factories very rarely do this, for a good reason. The last instance of something like that I can remember is Peugeot & Citroen in the WRC in the early 2000s but even there PSA pulled the plug after a few years because it is a waste of money to have two of your own makes compete against each other.
Yes, to me this makes a lot of sense, GT racing now (both GTE and WGT/GT3) is in a very lucrative and exciting time. They could still go for class wins at Le Mans as well as the Nurburgring 24 Hour honors overall. Plus I could see Audi focus on touring car racing around the world, my point was if they left LMP1 I doubt they would leave for F1.