View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2017, 17:21 (Ref:3727605)   #18
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The hard part????
For me it's such an interesting debate. There's also a serious amount of variables and really the biggest complement you can give a guy who wins the triple crown is that they were good enough to be entrusted top machinery in all three disciplines.

I think all you can do is try and assume that a driver is in 'top' machinery for each one. I think the influence of a winning car is certainly higher in F1 and Le Mans. There's a lot of luck and random chance at the 500 regarding fuel mileage, cautions, crashes etc. There are always more potential winners going into the 500 than any Monaco GP or Le Mans.

Over-simplistic I know, but if Alonso was in a Porsche this year he'd have a 1 in 5 chance of winning Le Mans. In a Mercedes at Monaco this season I'd say it's roughly similar in terms of pace advantage.

Obviously this is all before you take into account which race is more physically demanding, challenges of the specific cars, circuits etc.

You could write a whole thesis on it.