Old 19 Dec 2009, 23:45 (Ref:2602537)   #4
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
The same guys seem to be at the front all the time and there are only a handful of guys who seem to be able to win - are there major differences between the cars or is it a case that some teams are better than others? Just one example, on in-car shots, some guys seem never to use the clutch for downshifts whereas others don't which leads me to believe there are car differences.
As in every form of motorsport, the bigger, better resourced teams tend to dominate. The cars all have the same Hollinger gearbox, clutch use is more an individual driver thing.

Quote:
The control v sprint tyre. Whats the thinkingbehind this? It splits the race up from the get go and seems to spoil head to head combat. I don't like it at all and seems too manufactured to me. Was this a new rule this year and what do you guys think of it?
Sprint tyre was introduced this year to try and add another variable. The concept has fans and detractors amongst both drivers and fans.

Quote:
The season seems to be too long and spread out. Would it be better if it ended at Bathurst in October?
Historically the calendar has seen gaps of 2-4 weeks between events with a 12-15 week summer off-season. Next year rounds are being held every 2-3 weeks with a 8 week winter break and 9 week summer off season. Up until 2000, Bathurst was usually the final event of the season, but now that is has been incorporated into the championship the opportunity has been taken to extend the season. October and November are fairly quiet times for sport in Australia with the football codes finishing in September and the cricket and golf seasons not starting until November.

Quote:
I have a feeling that the series is modelling itself more and more on NASCAR. I don't think this is a good thing. Am I way off?
Aside from running push rod V8s not really, although obviously they would love to have the level of interest Nascar attracts.

Quote:
What's the power output of these cars? Is it really 650 bhp from a 5 litre V8 engine?
Yes

Quote:
Why do the cars not spit flames the way they used to? I thought that looked really cool.
This year there was a switch to E85 fuel (85% ethanol, 15% unleaded) and the ethanol burns in a different way.