View Single Post
Old 2 Jul 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2494864)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 5 - Toyo Tyres Saloons (Race 2)

26 starters; 21 finishers.

As Race 2, held over 15 minutes (11 laps) and I think the grid was formed based on the results of that first race. In any event, it was Stacy Vickers on pole with Tony Ellis alongside both in Mazda RX7s and again it was the latter that grabbed the lead at the start with Wayne Howlett's BMW E36 M3 slotting in behind the pair of oranges!

The first pic shows Roger Quantrill's Ford Capri (95), which had failed to make the earlier race. He was to finish 16th. Pic 2 shows the only time Andy Hayne passed my position, since he pulled into the pits at the end of the first lap in his VW Golf Gti (170). Andrew Busby (33 - E30 M3) leads Don Hughes (48 - Golf Gti). They were to finish 4th and 7th respectively. Pic 4 shows that the decisive moment in the race again took place between Ellis and Vickers but unfortunately it was clearly from a different book to the first. I think that this was probably on lap 3 and Vickers tagged Ellis into a spin at the Russell Chicane, leaving Vickers to run home the winner and an understandably miffed Ellis on a recovery drive. However there was an interesting corollary to this incident which I'll include in the next post. The next pic shows Ellis finally pointing the right way but with Julian Newman's E34 M5, which failed to finish, retiring just one lap short of race distance, going by. The last pic is of Wayne Howlett's M3 chasing Vickers but he was never able to reach the Mazda and finished 2nd 3.6 seconds behind.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2097wl5.jpg   IMG_2101wl5.jpg   IMG_2112wl5.jpg  

IMG_2132wl5.jpg   IMG_2138wl5.jpg   IMG_2171wl5.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Jul 2009 at 07:40.