Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...tal-overtaking

Snip
"One of our aims, which we are looking at with the FIA and the teams is that, for 2021, we want to have cars that allow drivers to really fight one another on track.
"To that end, the FIA and F1 are carrying out an aerodynamic research programme with two car models, both in the windtunnel and using CFD."

Gee wonder if they are Indy car models. I know they have push to pass but at least they can follow each other and get close enough to actually pass.

Get rid of the multi plane front wing for a start.
This is the part where Brawn has just about lost me.

"When there is only a small speed gap between two cars then it's almost impossible for the pursuer to get close enough to mount an attack."

It isn't the small speed gap that means the cars can't follow each other closely Ross! Nascar has the whole field of cars within a smaller speed gap than the first few rows of an F1 grid yet they are literally bumper to bumper on track.

F1 cars struggle to follow within 0.4 seconds behind the car in front, and pass without a 2-second lap speed advantage purely because of the aero dependence. I agree with you sizzle, I say regulate a single plane front wing, ban 'appendages' on the front half of the car and similar for the rear although that should take care of itself for balance reasons. This would also go a long way to reducing the disparity between the large and small teams.

Ignore complaints about the cars being unstable, that is a feature not a defect! Hamilton was able to take turns 11-12 flat last weekend which is ridiculous, and there are many other examples. Racing should mean overtaking on track not purely via pit stops.

The FIA is also capable of reducing downforce for the lower formulas as well so that they won't end up faster than F1 if that is a concern.

To Hill's point, commentary on the weekend talked about the big teams having 2000 staff! Just think that McLaren were winning in the late 1960s with something like 20 staff, and also producing CanAm and other cars at the same time.