View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3791827)   #69
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
GTE doesn't require using the same engine as the street car and multiple cars in the class do not.
Every car currently homologated in GTE is using an engine derived from the road car model's engine.

Quote:
The "crazy" bodywork on the Callaway GT3 is mostly styling.
No it is not. All of those elements are done for aerodynamic performance - racecars are not designed to look good, they're designed to function properly - this goes for GT cars as well. They ahve to retain the roadcar appearance, yes, but those extensions are still designed to FUNCTION as effectively as possible.

Quote:
Some very good GT3s use almost identical bodywork to a GTE car.
Only in the most basic of appearance. When you loo kat the details it quickly becomes apparent that GT3 cars with a GTE equivalent tend to have more "developed" aero on the GT3 car, even if it is only in subtle ways. (for example: I'll bet you missed those big intakes on the rear fenders of the Corvette GT3)

Quote:
GT3 cars being faster than GTE unrestricted might have been the case under the 2015 regulations but isn't really under the 2017 regulations that have given GTE cars similarly large aero devices.
It's not simply the size that's the issue here - GTE aerodynamic devices are required to be rather simple, whilst with a GT3 car you can do far more. In the above pictures, it wasn't the SIZE of the rear wings I was making a point about, it was their DESIGNS.

Quote:
Some GT3s might have bigger engines but they aren't engineered to run at significantly higher outputs regardless.
In most cases, they ARE tuned for significantly more power. By engineering them to run significantly more power than they'll be bopped at, the engine will be more reliable once restricted down.

Quote:
The 488 GT3's purchase price is really high but that doesn't account for what it includes. The GT3 and GTE only have around $60,000 worth different parts.
That's not the point here. As an aside, I ignored the even more expensive McLaren due to it not being present in GTD. The matter just isn't as simple as you make it out to be.