View Single Post
Old 2 May 2012, 02:55 (Ref:3068167)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The "if" question opens up a lot of doors, as who knows what might have happened later down the road had not those accidents happened. Since it did happen, I think all you can look at is the positive that came out of it or lessons learned. Now when I look back at 1990-1994 and some of the accidents that happened and the car design of the time, it was only a matter of time before something went wrong.

I think both of those fatal accidents forced a lot of changes in regards to safety. It forced a rethink on how exposed the drivers head was in an F1 car, barrier design, helmet design, head and neck restraints, suspension wishbone design and tethers, etc. Nearly 2 decades later, the fastest open wheel formula in the world hasn't had a fatality since, knock on wood. I think that is a pretty good record considering. You have to give the FIA and F1 credit for improving safety, rather than what many people or organizations would do, which is talk big and apply band aid solutions.